Monday, October 17, 2011

Welcome Night's Rest

It is now 9:47 (Central Time; that makes it 10:47 Eastern Time where we live) and we have been at the hotel about an hour.  You figure out how long it has taken us to travel from Middleburg to Jackson, TN.  We are all tired and ready for bed.  6:00 will come far too early!  I tried to write more on the road today, but was having some difficulty with my mobile broadband stick.  Perhaps tomorrow will be better; as a result, tonight's entries may be a little slim and probably not too creative.

The landscape of NC and TN is pretty much the same - trees, farms, rolling hills and mountains.  Lots of green.  As we approached the mountains (above), the green of the foliage became more vibrant, lots of color.  As we neared Ashville, the heart of the mountains around 1145 this morning, we began to notice several oddities - state police cars at every overpass on the interstate, helicopters flying overhead, fire engines at exit ramps, rest stops blocked off, and then no traffic I-40 going East.  It took us a few minutes to figure out what was happening, but because we had listened to the news we determined the interstate had been cleared for Ground Force One.  What's Ground Force One you say?  A nickname given by the local media to the Presidential Bus / Motorcade.  That's right, at 12:33 EST we passed President Obama on the road.  His motorcade was led by motorcyle police, followed by a multitude of vehicles including cops in unmarked vehicles and the President's bus (below).  Once the presidential motorcade had passed, we witnessed an approximate 10 mile rolling back-up of traffic.  How would you like to be in the line going no where fast? 

Ground Force One - President Obama's Bus for trip through NC

I continued to play the license plate game and have begun to record them on the games page as indicated earlier.  I left my list in the car, so will update it tomorrow.  I believe I've seen 26 states today.  If you play, in addition to cars, look at tractor trailors, campers, cars pulling trailers, buses and motorcyles.  I challenge you to get to 50 before me.  Keep your list and let me know what you find.

I'm going to head to bed.  My eyes are drooping and I am beginning to fat-finger the keys (typing the wrong letters).  See you tomorrow.

2 comments:

Whitney Clair said...

In the words of the 5th grade “YOU ROCK!” We began accessing your blog spot this morning and the excitement is intense! We began with your first blog posting and read every post you’ve made so far. The students were most interested in your events from yesterday, and the spotting of Ground Force One. They were amazed that you saw the President of the United States and his motorcade as they traveled through our home state of NC.

The students also had a few questions, so we narrowed it down to 3 and they are listed below:
1. What has been your favorite part of the trip so far?
2. When and where will be your next stop?
3. Did you actually see our President Barack Obama?

We also worked as a class to solve the math activities questions, using mapquest and our virtual calculators:
-From Middleburg, NC to Modesto, CA is about 2,783 miles
-From Middleburg, NC to Jackson, TN is about 689 miles
-You still have 2,094 miles to travel to reach Modesto, CA
-You have traveled 689 miles out of a total 2,783 miles, which means you have completed about 25% of your trip.

We are anxious to see what comes next on your road trip and to hear more from you soon. SAFE TRAVELS!

CA-Bound said...

Okay, I had my response to your comments typed at 1:06 my time, 3:06 yours, hit the submit button and lo and behold, they got lost in the ether! So, I’m having to start all over. I decided I would type my comments into a Word document and then I copy them into the comments or blog. I’m creating a backup.
Was great to hear from you today. Hopefully we have all the technical difficulties solved and we can communicate more often. In response to your questions,
1. What has been your favorite part of the trip so far?
My favorite part of the trip so far has been the scenery in each state. We go from trees and green in NC to brown and red and rocky hills in New Mexico. While very different, each has its own element of beauty. I will upload pictures tonight to give you some idea of how the landscape has changed as we move west. It is also very interesting to see how people live, to see what houses are made of and how different the yards look. In Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico, towns and homes are spread out. Houses are made of adobe or stucco or a mud-like brick. Many of the homes in the country have windmills for pumping well water. Texas has a lot of ranches and these can be thousands of acres in size. In this case, houses are sometimes hours apart. I like to see how the ethnic culture influences the architecture of the cities. In New Mexico they had some really neat bridges with Indian art work or designs carved and painted into them. They also has metal sculptures displayed along some of the roadways. I have a friend who lives in Albuquerque and her yard is stone and cactus. No grass. I didn’t get pictures of these, but will do my best to take some on the way back. I now know what to look for on the return trip. I just saw a train that was at least a mile long. It had 3 engines on the front and 2 engines on the back. This has been a common site in New Mexico.

2. When and where will be your next stop?
Last night we stopped outside a little town called Erick, Oklahoma, seven miles from the Texas border. Tonight, we plan on staying in Williams, AZ. Williams is located near the Grand Canyon. We stayed here 17 years ago when we made a trip cross country.

3. Did you actually see our President Barack Obama?
No I did not actually see President Obama. This was his motorcade and the bus windows were closed and darkened to prevent anyone from seeing into the bus.

Great job on the math problems! Hope each of you were able to work the problem yourself. I’ve posted some new math problems and some more social studies/geography questions. If you have sometime, try them out and do the research. All you can do is learn something new!

I enjoy hearing from you and hope you will keep writing. I will be posting more tonight. C’ya!