Monday, October 31, 2011

SUPERMARKET SCRAMBLE - 4TH & 5TH GRADERS

Ok, here’s a contest for the 4th and 5th graders.  Are you game? 
I went shopping last week in the local grocery stores.  I think food prices here are higher than food prices in NC.  I’d like for you to help me confirm if this is true or not true. 

So, here is how to play.  Ask Ms. McSwain for a copy of this list and carefully read the directions which are also below:
·       Take the list with the 11 items on it and go with a parent or adult to Food Lion or Wal-Mart. 
·       Find the items in the store and record the regular price, NOT the sale price. 
·       If you cannot find the exact item, locate an identical item and make a note of that on your paper. 
·       An adult MUST sign your paper indicating that YOU did the work, not your parent, friend or family member. 
·       Return your paper to Ms. McSwain who will verify your list.

The first boy and girl in grade 4 and in grade 5 who successfully complete the task will receive a small prize upon my return.  
 

FOOD ITEM
COST IN CA
COST IN NC
Bush’s red kidney beans; 16 oz can
$ 1.75

Idahoan Mashed Potatoes in a Bag, 14 oz,
4.89

McCormick Taco Seasons Packet
1.19

Newton Fruit Thins (in the cookie aisle)
4.59

Tostitos (Chips)
3.99

Bananas, 1 pound (lb)
0.68

Green Cucumber, 1
0.99

Head of Lettuce
1.49

Block of store brand, Colby Jack cheese, 16 oz.
4.99

Tortillas - Fajita Size (packet of 20)
3.99

Kraft Light 1000 Island Dressing, 16 oz
4.29

TOTAL
$32.84



See what you can learn about shopping for food.  Talk with your parents about the cost of putting food on the family table.  Is there anything you can do to help with the costs of feeding the family?  Which items are the most expensive?  Which are the least expensive?  If you had to buy the food all the time, what would you purchase to eat? 

If my shopping list cost $32.84 and I gave you $40.00, how much change would I get in return? 

Have some fun shopping!

2 comments:

Whitney Clair said...

I have made copies of this list and am ready to distribute them to students who are willing to put in the extra work. I hope most of the 5th and 4th grade students will rise to the challenge and be competitive.

Anonymous said...

i wish we had laptop at our school the baby is pretty one of my sisters go to the that school she is in the 5th grade i really miss her i never seen her ever since i was 4 years old my dad live there i sorry what happen to the dog belle that said bad it hurt my heart to her that but the only thing i happy is that you found that dog bye!!!!!!!!!!